Monday, April 9, 2012

Through The looking Glass: Queen Alice (Dinner Party)


The White Queen laughed with delight, and stroked Alice's cheek. Then she began:
   '"First, the fish must be caught."
That is easy: a baby, I think, could have caught it.
   "Next, the fish must be bought."
That is easy: a penny, I think, would have bought it.    "Now cook me the fish!"
That is easy, and will not take more than a minute.
   "Let it lie in a dish!"
That is easy, because it already is in it.
   "Bring it here! Let me sup!"
It is easy to set such a dish on the table.
   "Take the dish-cover up!"
Ah, that is so hard that I fear I'm unable!
   For it holds it like glue
Holds the lid to the dish, while it lies in the middle:
   Which is easiest to do,
Un-dish-cover the fish, or dishcover the riddle?'

No comments:

Post a Comment